Fortnite has become the quintessential battle royale and one of the most known games on the planet in recent days. Its widespread appeal stems primarily from its free-to-play approach and accessibility, allowing gamers to play the third-person shooter on PC, consoles, and mobile platforms.
When PC and console users play Fortnite for the first time, they must choose whether to utilize a controller or a mouse and keyboard for Fortnite. Aiming is a major skill in games like Fortnite, and it is far simpler to do it with a mouse than a gamepad.
On the other hand, a controller accepts non-binary control input, making it a superior choice for movement. Professional controller players frequently complain about Fortnite’s unfair advantages for keyboard and mouse gamers and vice versa.
This discussion has raged in the community for some years and, by all indications, will continue for many more. So today, we’ll look into why mouse and keyboard are a better option for Fortnite.
Why play with mouse and keyboard?
The right combo of mouse and keyboard for Fortnite gives an extraordinary gaming experience like never before. Here are the reasons why playing Fortnite on mouse and keyboard is better –
- Anyone who has ever used a computer would recognize the feeling of aiming with a mouse as it comes as an instinct to people. For a third-person shooter like Fortnite, mouse aiming will come easily to people to be able to play and improve.
- Moving and strafing your character is also more accurate and versatile when using the trusty WASD keys.
- Furthermore, playing Fortnite on a PC with a keyboard and mouse does not give any aim aid, putting you in complete control of hitting your bullets.
- Fortnite’s complicated construction system is an important feature of the game and the deciding factor in top-level play. Using a mouse and keyboard allows players to bind various keys (such as the mouse wheel) to assist them in building more successfully.
How to set up the keys and mouse in Fortnite
These keybindings are common in most PC shooters, so there’s no reason to vary from the standard.
- Move Forward – W
- Move Left – A
- Move Backward – S
- Move Right – D
- Jump – Space Bar
- Crouch – Left CTRL
- Open Map – M
- Crouch While Building – Left Shift
- Place Wall – Q
- Place Floor – Mouse 4
- Place Stairs – E
- Place Roof – Mouse 5
- Place Trap – T
- Place Building – Left Mouse Button
- Repair/Upgrade – H
- Rotate Building – R
- Change Building Material – Right Mouse Button
- Building Edit – F and Mouse Wheel Up
- Crouch While Editing – Left Shift
- Select Building – Left Mouse Button
- Reset Building – Mouse Wheel Up
- Fire or Shoot – Left Mouse Button
- Aim Down Sights – Right Mouse Button
- Reload – R
- Use Anything – Mouse Wheel Down and X
- Harvesting or Pickaxe Tool – 1
- Weapon no 1 – 2
- Weapon no 2 – 3
- Weapon no 3 – 4
- Weapon no 4 – 5
- Weapon no 5 – 6
- Open and Close Inventory – Tab
- Ping or Place Marker – Left Alt
These keybinds and settings put everything at your fingertips, optimizing your comfort reaction time during Fortnite build-fighting.
How to improve your gameplay with mouse and keyboard?
Don’t be discouraged if you don’t see quick results; your hands need time to get used to the mouse and keyboard, and it will take at least three days to feel comfortable with most settings.
Changes to your setup will necessitate some re-training. This is something that new players to the mouse appear to struggle with.
If you want to get extremely good at something, you have to practice a lot. The majority of pro-Fortnite players continuously play for 3-6 hours every day. Not all of that time is devoted to intense practice, but a significant portion of it is. While playing, they should develop their technical abilities and decision-making.
Begin by connecting your building keys to keys that are easily accessible. This will be crucial in construction wars. Next, make sure your mouse is set to the appropriate sensitivity to aim accurately.
High sensitivity may force you to aim too fast or too sluggish. Try to get acclimated to this new sensitivity since it will help you improve your aim. Finally, ensure sure you have the correct keyboard size.
A large keyboard might make it difficult for your hands to reach a key. When you’re in the thick of a vital battle, and all you need to do is touch the spacebar to evade your opponent’s final shotgun blasts to win, having a large keyboard may lead you to miss it, resulting in a lost fight and a trip back to the lobby.
Due to the tiny size of the keyboard, you may overshoot your key, missing it and striking a key lower below. You could even press a key that forces you to do something you don’t want to do, which has a negative outcome.
The purchase of a higher-end mouse and keyboard, which may boost comfort and functionality, is just as important as practice in the game.
If you’re serious about improving your Fortnite skills and playing on PC, the keyboard and mouse combo provides an edge. At the same time, nothing surpasses playing on a gadget that you’re familiar with. Learning how to play on a new gadget will always take time, so select wisely and remember to have fun.